So you’re looking to get your business on to Google maps and show up locally when nearby people search for your goods or services? Well, getting listed on Google maps is a relatively simple process. This guide will walk you through it step by step.
- Go to the Google My Business website.
- Click the green start now button. Then log in or create a Google account to get started.
- Enter the name of your business and click next.
- Enter your business address. Then click the ‘I deliver goods and services to my customers’ box. If you don’t serve customers at your address then tick the hide my address button. This is useful for some businesses, for example, you fit blinds and go to customers homes to provide your service. In this case, you may not want to display your address if it’s a warehouse for example.
- Enter your business category, try to think of a single word that best describes your business. That could be greengrocer, florist, gym or whatever best suits you when you start typing you’ll be provided with suggestions. Try to think like your customer if they were looking for your business and searching in Google this category is often what they would type.
- Enter your contact details. Provide a phone number for your business and if you already have a website setup enter it here too. I recommend against Google’s free automatically generated website but the option is there. You can always come back and add a website later!
- Verify your business setup. Just hit the finish button and you’re set up but the process isn’t quite over yet.
- You’ll be redirected to your Google My Business homepage it’s time to fill in some blanks. On the right-hand side, you’ll notice the ‘Complete your listing’ box lets start by adding your business opening hours click the blue plus next to ‘Add hours’.
- Next, you need to fill in the box with your business hours, once you’re done click apply. Make sure you click the grey sliders next to ‘Close’ to show the days your business is open and then fill in the opening hours to the right of each day.
- Click the add description button and then fill in the box you have up to 750 characters to write everything you want to about your business. The most important thing is to talk about what your product or service is and what aspects of it are most important to your customers.
- Once you complete the previous step the complete your listing box disappears but you’re still not done. Look on the left-hand menu and click ‘Photos’.
- The most important photo to add is your profile photo, this could be your business’s logo or a photo of your businesses signage. Once this is done you may also want to add a cover photograph a picture of your team serving customers or your office would suffice. You can also add a video walkthrough of your business as well as interior photos.
There you have it your business is all set up on Google My Business. If you’re looking to improve your local Google search engine rankings and drum up some new local business then why not get in touch and see how Chesterfield Digital can help you.